Monday, January 26, 2009

Today's Flowers

Golden Shower Tree
Cassia Fistula is one of the most stunning trees grown in a tropical - subtropical climates, better known as the Golden Shower Tree or Indian Laburnum.

Native to India, it flowers in summer and can be literally covered in showers of deep yellow blooms, each bunch up to about 40cm in length. When these trees usually flower, they have no leaves as they are semi-decidious and lose their leaves in late spring when the first flowers appear. But mine have received a lot of rain in the last two months which have encouraged them to grow leaves during flowering.
The flowers also have a lovely perfume that scent the garden and attract butterflies and bees alike.
For other beautiful pictures on flowers, please click here

13 comments:

  1. It has a lovely colour and the name "Golden Shower" reminds me of one we have here by approximately that name which is deemed extremely poisonous. I wonder if that could be the same?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with RuneE; I looks like the big poisonous bush that grows in Norway. Very yellow during springtime - and very beautiful! Like your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful tree to have in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it does look like a Laburnum (Golden Chain Tree). It is actually a distant relative. Although Laburnum is highly poisonous, Cassia Fistula (Golden Shower Tree) is used for medicinal purposes in India.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning Marie-Louise, it is a wonderful tree. Have you seen when the petals fall how lovely they look on the grass. Love Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of it but it is very pretty. I love your header picture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cassias have a large number of species and range of climates, I particularly like the Australian natve desert variety which also has a nice scent .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this. A tree with all yellow flowers without leaves. I've seen them blooming yellow. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an extraordinary photo! Interesting plant and its' name really suits it. Thank you for your visit and greetings from Croatia.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marie-Louise

    Marvelous and interesting post!
    I invit you to became a "Guest Friend" of TODAY'S FLOWERS.
    Send me one or more flowers by e-mail (luizsantillijr@gmail.com)and I'll put your name in the list of "Guest"!

    I wait you join!

    Luiz

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely name for a tree! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, that tree looks just like the one in my front garden. But I have struggled to get a good shot of it this year, for some reason. Thanks for reminding me of thee proper name for it. I can never remember the names when I need to!

    The recipe above sounds pretty good too...ymmm...must go get some basil to grow!

    Annie

    ReplyDelete